The AWS re:Invent Guide to Governance
Everywhere you turn you see them: guides to the AWS re:Invent extravaganza in Las Vegas in early December. In our internal battle against FOMO, we felt compelled to add to the list of guides. But here's our twist: this is the AWS re:Invent guide for those who care about cloud governance.
Read on for tips from repeat attendees, suggested governance-related sessions to attend, and of course, where you can find us in the expo hall.
Protips from those who've been there (many times)
Here are some suggestions from our team members who've made the journey to Vegas many times:
- Wear comfortable shoes: you'll definitely get your steps in at this event.
- Strategically plan your sessions: if you’re at a lot of different venues it may be hard to get to sessions.
- If you didn’t get to register for a session you wanted, try a walk up. AWS saves a certain allotment of seats for walk ups. If you can’t make it in person, they’ll have the sessions on YouTube.
- Play! Go to the events like the restaurant receptions (formerly the pub crawl), wing eating contest (Tatonka), and midnight madness. They’re fun!
- More ways to play: review the original re:Invent parties list.
- Vegas is a desert: bring chapstick and drink lots of water.
- No need to take pictures of slides or record a session on your phone - everything finds its way online.
- Network: that problem that you’ve been facing may have already been tackled by the stranger sitting at your lunch table. If you're a big networker, some tea with honey can save your voice.
- More networking: check out re:Invent Roulette from the folks at cloudonaut.
More pro tips are available from the AWS Hero Guides.
Take time to give back
AWS offers several ways to give back during the event. Check out their Give Back page to learn how to donate time and/or dollars at the event. If you find yourself with extra, unneeded swag, you can donate this too.
Learn about cloud governance
Check out the AWS re:Invent session catalog for complete details on sessions and info on how to book reserved seating. Here are a few of the sessions where you can get a deep dive into cloud governance:
- MGT201-L - Leadership session: AWS management and governance services
- FSI301 - Practical patterns for meeting IT compliance requirements
- ENT401-R - A life-cycle approach to governance, compliance, and audit
- MGT313 - Architect governance at enterprise scale with Goldman Sachs
- MGT302-R - Enable AWS adoption at scale with automation and governance
Meet the cloudtamer.io team
Not surprisingly, we think the best way to get started with cloud governance is at our booth. We're on the expo floor in Booth 2826. Please stop by to say hi, pick up some very good swag, and enter our raffle for a big Southwest gift card and a charitable donation to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (when you see our booth theme and swag, you'll understand the donation). We also have a private meeting room on the expo floor where we're booking 1-on-1 meetings with our senior team. Contact us to book your meeting for a demo and discussion.
Marianna leads marketing at cloudtamer.io.